CAB Coffee House Opens with Indie
On Thursday, Sept. 6, students waited anxiously in Lyndon's Student Center for Michigan born singer/songwriter, Jetty Rae, to take the stage. There was a hushed whisper as she climbed the stage wearing a flowing, flowery dress and carrying her guitar.
Students were blowing the steam from their cups of coffee or tea being served by the entrance for free when Rae took the stage at 8. As she began to tune her guitar strings, Rae's first remark was about Vermont.
"This is actually my first time in Vermont, its beautiful, and I don't want to leave it."
Rae mentioned her hometown of Michigan and her 12 hour drive with husband Jason, who she affectionately nicknamed her "Husbandager" combining both of his duties as her manager and her husband.
Rae also showcased her vulnerable side as she spoke about her grandmother. Her grandmother was a full-blooded Native American from northern California who was well known within that area.
Rae admits her stage name is from her grandmother whose name was Jetty Rae. It is her way of honoring her elder. Rae then sings something she wrote for her grandmother called "Frayed Ends."
All of Rae's personally written indie style songs were about things Rae holds close to her heart. Some songs were about friends and betrayal like her song "Nice Ones," while others were about her love for her husband like "Favorite Song."
Another piece she belted to the crowd was called "Alien." It is about people who don't fit in with society and feel isolated. The lyrics are sure to have spoken to her audience especially with lines like this one.
"You've been marching to their beat your whole life well, it's time for you to step on out of line."
Rae performed only two covers over the course of the night, "We Found Love" by Rihanna and finishing the night at 11 p.m. with Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love."
If you are interested in hearing Jetty Rae for yourself, as Rae says, "I'm everywhere." She can be found on Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, iTunes, Spotify, and she has her own website at jettyrae.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Critic News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE CRITIC NEWS
RECENT THE CRITIC CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards